NOTE: This was from my old A&L Enterprises blog – but I thought it was interesting…
In the spirit of Thanksgiving (OK I’m a little slow) I thought I would stop and think about the technologies I’m thankful for:
- The Internet – I remember starting out with this in college and have been hooked ever since. I think I love the great sources of information that are nearly instantly available (and for on the cheap). It just keeps growing and growing.
- Digital Cameras – I remember, after I got married, having pictures on film that I never developed. With the advent of the digital camera it’s unlocked a world of usefulness to me – as the pictures are now on the computer – something actually useful to me (I hardly ever “print” any of them anymore). I can put them online, in slideshows, videos, etc.
- Cell Phones – I love being able to connect to people (and now data) nearly anywhere at any time – it’s a sense of freedom that I enjoy
- Podcasts – I’ve gotten pretty addicted to podcasts – to listening to shows on my iPod (another great piece of technology). I love being able to laugh, to learn, to be convicted while I’m doing other things – keeping my mind occupied.
- Glasses – I wouldn’t be able to see very well without them!
- Books – It’s a little old-fashioned know but again I love the source of information.
- USB Port – having this common connection that both connects a device and charges it is quite nice and very useful.
- Flash Memory – Right now near me I have 2 devices that rely on Flash memory – a digital camera and my Palm Centro. The ability to store information without having a constant source of power has been a great advancement and makes things quite useful.
- Digital Music – I love listening to music – and having it in a digital form just makes it some much more accessible and easier to work with (iPod anyone)
This is by no means a complete list and the order is pretty random – I just wanted to make myself think along the lines of thankfulness – if in a geeky way.